We are open! But under strange and new circumstances.
Open 9.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Saturday. We close every day for lunch from 1pm to 2pm.
Covid 19 Patient Instructions
An Optical Practice is an area where social distancing cannot be maintained due to the work involved.
We have implemented all hygiene and social distancing measures in accordance with HSE guidelines, along
with changes to the way in which we carry out consultations. This virus has been shown to cause mild to
severe symptoms, and in small percentage of patients can cause death. This risk increases if you are over 70,
or if you have an underlying medical condition and we would ask patients in particular in these 2 groups to
consider the necessity of their appointment at this time.
In order to help us to help you, we kindly ask that you read and follow the information below:
1. We may need to put drops in your eyes, these drops will blur your vision, leaving you unable to drive. Please ensure you have a driver, but we kindly ask that they do not accompany you into the practice.
2. We ask that you kindly wear a mask when visiting the practice. If you do not have one, one can be provided at the practice for a fee at €2.
3. Are you feeling unwell, or do you have a fever? If so, please call us immediately and we will reschedule your appointment.
4. Have you been in close contact with a confirmed or queried Covid-19 case in the last 14 days? If so, please call us immediately.
5. Please come alone if possible. If you require a companion(parent/carer/child), do they have a cough or fever? If so, please do not attend and call us from home for advice.
6. Please come only at your appointed time, as we will be operating a “closed door policy”. Everything at the moment, from eye appointments to collections, are by appointment only. Please phone 0719170169 to book your appointment slot.
7. If the appointment is for a child, please attend with only that child.
8. As unfortunately we are unable to allow customers use our toilet at the present time, we politely ask that you use the toilet at home
9. Please sanitise your hands immediately on entering our reception area.
10. Do not bring coats or jackets where possible. If you do, please keep on you.
11. Keep keys, phone, wallets etc on your person during your appointment, do not place on worksurfaces.
12. Please pay by card where possible on day of appointment, in order that glasses/ contact lenses may be posted if required.
13. We are a friendly bunch but please do not delay in the surgery or at reception chatting with our lovely employees, in order for us to maintain social distancing. Please be patient with us. We are working hard to protect employees and patients. This may slow us down.
14. We thank you for your co-operation and understanding. These are exceptional times and we, like you, look forward to meeting again when friendly banter and longer chats can once again be the norm. We really do appreciate your loyalty as we all adapt.
At Cooke Opticians, Sligo, we pride ourselves on high quality, professional eye care in comfortable surroundings. Can't find us?! We may have moved since you were last with us - but don't worry, we have not gone far! We only moved 4 doors in our new building, formerly Coleman Electrical, next door to WB's Cafe.
Whether you have had an eye test with us before or this is your first visit, at Cooke Opticians we view you as our patient, and your eye care is our primary concern. All our patients receive the same level of care and attention, regardless of whether you are a private patient, have a medical card or qualify through your PRSI. Why us?
Over 20 years experience
Comprehensive exams (minimum 30 minutes) including the latest ophthalmic technology including OCT Scanner and VisiOffice
Stockist of a wide variety of budget and designer frames
On site lab with one hour glazing service
Watching television, updating your Instagram account, and a whole load of other digital activities are now part and parcel of our daily lives — to the point where we don’t know how we used to live without them. And our eyes are exposed to screens for a significant amount of time every day. In fact, according to the 2016 digital eye strain report conducted by The Vision Council, 60% of people spend more than 5 hours every day looking at a screen.
What’s more, the Bank of America conducted a mobility report in 2015 which found that 35% of people reach for their phones in the morning ahead of coffee, a toothbrush, or their significant other.
Sure enough, too much screen time is tiring for our eyes, but this doesn’t mean you need to abandon your devices. New lenses, that don’t need to be for prescription, can help to prevent these problems caused by staring at screens in the workplace and at home.
Whichever type of online personality you are, whichever devices you use, Eyezen lenses can reduce your eyestrain. Unlike ordinary glasses, these innovative lenses are made for the modern world — and the digital devices that come with it. They are designed to relieve visual fatigue, improve contrast, and prevent against premature aging of the eyes, causes by UV and blue-violet light in our everyday lives. Some sources of blue-violet light include modern indoor lighting and the sun.
We can’t avoid blue- light altogether, however. It is most commonly found in sunlight, and the blue turquoise part helps to regulate our sleep/wake cycles, as well as boosting our alertness and moods. It’s just when we are exposed to the violet part for too long when it can become a problem. That’s why the Essilor Eyezen lenses selectively filter out the harmful blue-violet light rays emitted the sun and some modern light sources, while letting the beneficial blue-turquoise light through. The enhanced lenses allow you to see accurately and comfortably no matter what digital device you are using – no prescription necessary.
A 3D OCT scanner can detect potentially serious conditions that can affect your eyesight and your overall health, including:
#1: Aged Related Macular Degeneration
#4: Vitreous Detachments
#5: Macular Holes
Your optician will take both a digital photograph and a 3D cross section scan of the back of your eye - but don't worry - it doesn't hurt or take long to do!
Some of which include:
2nd set of lenses complimentary when ordering your 1st pair with the Crizal UV anti-reflection lenses (for example: 2 sets of distance glasses)
2nd set of lenses half price when ordering your 1st pair with the Crizal UV anti-reflection lenses (for example: 2 sets of varifocals)
So many options and so little room here! So for all the T&C's and different options available, give us a call or pop into us today!
We work closely with our contact lens providers and there will be a few changes from them in the coming months - namely contact lenses being discontinued as they are replaced by newer and more up to date materials and technologies. We will contact any patients affected in the coming weeks regarding their contact lenses, and possible alternatives. We are still able to order them from our suppliers, but it is only while stocks last. The contact lens brands affected at the moment are Acuvue 1 Day Define and Acuvue 1 Day Trueye (both by J&J) and Bioclear 1 Day (by Sauflon).
This small sum lets us know that you are genuinely enquiring and not a computer trying to send excess amounts of spam to our email account.